24 April 2013

Dental Work

Hey, ho, what's up? My gingiva is in pain. Those are your gums. For a girl who prides herself on flossing and brushing more fervently than she does almost anything else (perhaps even including her religion(?)) it is a major bummer when she has dental issues. That girl is me. Yesterday I spent almost two hours having a molar prepped for an on-lay. I guess brushing and flossing can only get you so far. I can't imagine what my mouth would be like if I had poor dental hygiene. Lots of tugging and drilling and impressions yesterday. I think maybe my dentist must be building a new deck or something because the only option she gave me for my on-lay was the most expensive one they had available. Thank The Good Lord I have family in the dental business and they let me know that I actually had more options. As we speak, my gold piece is being crafted at the mint! Very fancy, I know. I like to call the dental lab the mint because they deal in precious metals so same-same. My dentist wanted to use something else but once I found out I could get GOLD at a fraction of the cost of course I had to get it. It'll be in the back of my mouth anyways so I really don't care what color it is. Plus we are apartment dwellers, so I'm counting this little nugget as my chief emergency preparedness effort. I think my father would be proud.

I don't have any pictures to accompany all this talk about my dental work. But just imagine, as I do, that  when getting dental work done it's kind of like a beach vacation. You get sunglasses so the sun doesn't shine too brightly in your eyes and the sound of all the equipment buzzing and humming- I like to say it's the ocean. Maybe not the most inviting ocean ever, but hey, you are still at the dentist so whateves. Then yesterday did they ever roll out the red carpet for me. The numbing gel they put on my gums before the anesthetic was piña colada flavored. How did they know??!! I basically had a piña colada made in my mouth and then sat on the beach for a couple hours. And instead of a sunburn I only have some sore gums. Sometimes I'm not sure which is better.



3 woot-woots!:

Mindy said...

I always get great entertainment value out of your posts. I smile and giggle the entire time. Sorry about your tooth misfortune. Bring on the gold pirate tooth... SWEET!!! Not to mention I hear gold wears the best. Good choice :)

Eve said...

I think you took a double dose of your funny pill this morning, hahahahah! i LOVE going to the dentist now that im a mom, and just chilling out on the reclining chair. I pretend its the spa and aim really getting a facial. XOXo eve

Patience said...

Glad I can make you ladies laugh ;). I may try to channel the facial experience next time!