12 December 2014

I'm Weird

The other day I went into Jo-Ann Fabrics to pick up some material for a Christmas project for Jude. I don't know what it is about that store, but it seems like the minute I walk in I check my feminism* right at the door. Not that a feminist person can't sew and be a feminist too... something weird happens to me in that store and I don't quite know how to explain it.

I've never been one to gush about things like getting engaged or finding out I'm expecting. When Dan proposed to me I was like "Yeah, sure, now get up off your knee because this is so weird". Yet that man still loves me. Dan likes to tease me by telling people I looked at him wide eyed and said "Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes!" and then mushed and mushed him, and every time it still bugs me even though it's been a joke on rotation for 7 years. Society makes me think I should have certain responses to certain events and usually I'm just not that into it. 

But darn that fabric store. The second I walk in I'm all like "I am an eternal mother who can sew useful things for her children through her God given talents and nurturing abilities". It's weird. Even typing that sentence makes me want to gag myself with a spoon but I really feel that way in a fabric store. Goodbye feminist Patience, hello the Patience my father probably thinks I am ;). 

Running my hands along all those bolts of fabric, feeling the different qualities, looking at batting! It sucks the feminist right out of me. The buttons take me to a whole other level and don't even get me started on Velcro options. Then the ladies that cut my fabric always asking what I'm making, I just gush to them as they slowly affirm the naturally nurturing mother of children that I am while gazing at my full belly and congratulating me through ESP on yet another achievement in motherhood. Ha ha ha. It's the weirdest thing. 

And all I'm making for him is a cape. Also, this is probably why I only sew a few times a year.


And this is probably the perfect post to ask, do you think she looks like me? I think she has my nose.

*no disrespect to the feminist seamstress, I'm just relating my experience




0 woot-woots!: