10 April 2015

Born On The First Day of Spring

When I went to see my midwife on my due date for my 40 week appointment I told her that I have two special talents: making cookies and having over due children. But, considering Greta was barely even a day over due, I'm not sure I can count the latter anymore. Cookies though? Yes, I am still good at those.

There is something about giving birth that makes you want to turn around and do it all over again. At least for me that's how it is. I remember mentioning this to Dan the first time, when it was sweet little Jude in the bassinet beside my hospital bed three years ago. I felt the same way after Greta was born. Oh the love hormones! If somebody sold them on the street, I'd be an addict. Who wouldn't?!

A couple of months before Greta was born I was talking with one of the midwives about how I wanted to have a natural birth but was still nervous about all it entailed. I asked her what some of the best coping mechanisms were because I thought Hypnobirthing was worth a fat pile of worms, and she suggested positive affirmations to help strengthen my mind- she told me I had to believe that I could do it. So for a couple of months before Greta was born I kept telling myself that I was strong enough, that I could do it, and I kept picturing what it would be like after she was born- me, Dan, and Greta all snuggled in tight in my hospital room (missing my Jude boy though, sad face). I had to believe that I could do it and I did. When all was said and done though, Greta's birth felt just like Jude's, only shorter. My epidural was ill placed with Jude and I felt it all 3 years ago as well. I'm still perturbed I couldn't get a discount on my anesthesia service, I mean, honestly. 

So lets get this down for the record. Thursday evening I was having mild contractions. I could talk through them and walk through them but I could also feel them. I say they were about a 3 out of 10 on the pain scale. I didn't even bother timing them until about 9pm as they were pretty erratic until about then. They were about 8 minutes apart, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. After timing them for 2 hours I called the midwife on call, who happened to be Wendy- the same midwife that attended Jude's birth (!), and she told me to time for another hour and see what happens. I thought I'd try to go to sleep, but they were juuuusssst strong enough that I couldn't sleep through them. So timed I did and they remained about the same. I called her back and she said she thought I would be having a baby tonight. Yay! Ouch!

We got everything ready that we hadn't yet, then woke up Jude to take him over to my sister friends house to spend the night. I was so grateful the contractions weren't incredibly painful yet, as it enabled me to leave the house without forgetting anything and gave me time to cuddle my Jude one more time before he became a big brother. A tender mercy really. Dan got Jude all settled in then we were on the way to the hospital. Dan called his mom from the car and I text all my family to let them know we were on our way. I thought it was kind of ridiculous to be going to the hospital in such a calm state because the last time I did this there was nothing calm about it. But to the hospital we went anyways, while mildly contracting, and the whole time we kept remarking to each other that we couldn't believe this was actually happening. I still can't believe it actually happened.

Wendy met us at the entrance and I got ready to get all checked out. Turns out those baby contractions got me all the way to a 6 and 100% effaced. What, what!!? Go body. It was wonderful to not have to really feel my uterus doing all that work. I mean, it meant I had to be 40 weeks and 1 day pregnant, so there are compromises, I guess. It's actually a compromise I'm happy to make because hello, birth is no joke. Because I was so far along I was readily admitted to the hospital. It took at least an hour to get all my paperwork done and all the while I was having small contractions, by this point it felt like at 4/10 on the pain scale. Once I was all checked in Wendy suggested she break my water and I was more than happy to let her do it. That was an odd sensation.

Wendy and all the nurses left Dan and I alone to pace around the room and wait for more progress. I swear, the second the room was empty my contractions started full blast. Holy freaking cow, I was in labor and it was intense. With every contraction I concentrated so hard to keep breathing, and I worked so hard to tell myself I was strong enough and that I could do this. Just like last time, I really didn't want anyone touching me or helping me... I just held on to the counter and breathed my best yoga breath until all of a sudden I started pushing and it was still just me and Dan in the room. Right before I started pushing I remember saying "I don't like this...". That must have been transition. Poor Dan, he asked me if I needed anyone and I really couldn't communicate. After the 3rd contraction of pushing I told him I did indeed need someone and then all of a sudden the L&D room was filled with nurses and Wendy and everyone was prepping everything really, really fast. It was so surreal I felt like I was in a movie.

The thing about pushing is it's really hard and it's really painful. I remember Wendy telling me she could tell I was fighting the urge to push harder. And I was! Ha ha, I totally remember thinking that if I just used my fabulous yoga breathing skills I wouldn't have to push and maybe my baby would come out? Ha ha, if only. She called me on it and helped me direct my energy to where it needed to be. Two more pushes and out came the sweetest little baby- an hour and 12 minutes after my water was broken. Not bad, body (and ps- I'm still so proud of you)!

Now, because I've already told you far too much about my lady parts, I may as well finish up with a funny over share. You've made it this far already so why not. I was really hoping that I wouldn't tear with this birth, but well, I did. What can ya do? As I was snuggling my fresh little one and Wendy was putting me back together again I felt lots of pokes and pulls which is never fun. I think by this point I was nursing Greta and at the next poke, I said "Wendy, there are only a few things that I like happening down there and this is not one of them!". Everyone had a good chuckle and Dan got a little shy ;). The jokes, they just never stop.

Once everything was finished up and we took our pictures, it was just me and Dan drinking in the magical high of giving birth to a fresh soul.  Finally holding that brand new baby in your arms that you worked so hard to make and so hard to birth is the most surreal and spectacular feeling I have ever experienced. I truly wish that everyone who wants to feel it gets to. And I know this sounds crazy, but I'm kind of jealous of all those pregnant mama's who get to give birth- there is absolutely nothing like it.

So welcome to the world my sweet Greta Girl, my sweet spring bud! I had fun growing you and now I can't wait to raise you.

{I'll add some pictures soon!!}







0 woot-woots!: