06 March 2013

A Spectacular Snowquester

Dan was able to work from home which is always my favorite. Come change a diaper! (The time he takes to do this and other requests is basically the same as a conversation with a co-worker, in my books.) Which also meant that we got a little bit of a sleep in... by about 15 minutes because Jude is so excited about life and can't help himself. Oh well. At least he woke us up with his giggles as he played peek-a-boo with himself and his blankie. Dear me, I think I have the cutest kid that ever walked the face of this here planet.

We kept him in his PJs for most of the day so he could be nice and cozy because no matter how much we try to sweet talk our thermostat the downstairs is always freezing. I don't mind it though. Kind of reminds me of growing up near the arctic circle in a house far too large and far too difficult to keep warm. When I come downstairs in the mornings I always think 'cold downstairs you got nothing on Slave Lake, Alberta' and then I make a smoothie for breakfast to see if I can get a little colder. I actually don't know what my problem is. So Jude was in his PJs all day and we were in our slippers. Very cozy.

The snow kept falling here in Virginia and by quarter of 12 I needed to get out of the house. Snowquester could not sequester me. I pulled out our winter boots from our storage closet wondering, once again, why on earth did I ship these instead of our photo albums and my sparkly gold pumps? That was dumb. And they aren't even the cute Sorels. No, they are the Sorels that are made for real winter- not cute city winters match your wardrobe boots. They are ugly and functional and in that they are amazing. When we were packing to move across the continent and to another country I remembered reading about Snowmageddon and maybe I thought every winter would be like that... sounds vaguely familiar but I'm still not sure what possessed me. Anyways, on went our Sorels and out the door we went. A quick stop at the grocery store so we could pick up some last minute things for dinner and some time outside for Judie Pants (I don't know why we call him that but it seems to be sticking around) so he could point at the snowflakes and grimace when they landed on his nose. Sweet boy. Some snow landed on my lips so I licked it up and it tasted like home. When Dan was putting on his boots it reminded him of when he shoveled snow for 30 houses all winter long. In Canada, where winter lasts forever and where it snows all the time. All 30 houses shoveled clean by 8am. This is so hilarious- I'm waxing poetic about snow here when every member of my family besides myself probably can't wait for it all to go away. Oh Virginia, you have spoiled me but I must say you are quite a B in the summer.

This afternoon we had a pot roast braising in the oven and it smelt like magic in our cold downstairs. Mmmmmm... like Sunday dinner magic in a house that was far too large and far too difficult to keep warm. Pot Roast always smells like Sunday after church in the winter. We had our friends over to partake of our Snowquester feast and it was the coziest of evenings, the coziest of days.

 photo photo_zpsaa41107c.jpg


 photo photo_zpsaad90dac.jpg


 photo photo_zps08ad8f9d.jpg


0 woot-woots!: